1. The main businesses of Water Resources Bureau are:
river restoration, drainage and flood prevention, sewage construction and facilities maintenance, soil and water conservation, compensation for land expropriation, and other water resources constructions. In the aspect of river restoration, we conduct drainage governance in the region and green landscaping along the banks of rivers. In the aspect of sewage, we conduct sewer construction, sewage pipelines connection to households, and the operation, maintenance and management of sewage treatment plants. In the aspect of drainage and flood prevention, we construct the rainwater sewers of the whole City and build flood detention facilities, as well as monitor and control the water gate during the torrential rains and flood prevention reactions. The soil and water conservation business includes soil and water conservation of slopeland, conservation and utilization and resource investigation and planning, inspection and enforcement against estrepments, torrential valley restoration, and hill governance and flood prevention. The water resource administration includes water resources, water rights registration and management, supervision, water resource investigation and planning, and deliberation, coordination and supervision on water construction projects.
2. Current policy direction:
- (1) Speeding up the sewage construction, increasing the penetration rate of sewage pipelines connection, improving the water quality in the rivers and harbor area, and improving the urban environment quality.
- (2) Enhancing the periodical maintenance and management of sewage system and facilities for clean drainage and to reduce the damage and losses, as well as protecting the property and safety of citizens and improving the quality of life. In addition, the sewage treatment plan of Fongshan River was transformed into a reusable water plant with three levels of treatments to protect the rights to water for citizens and industries in Kaohsiung, and the effectiveness of sewage construction was also improved.
- (3) Conducting general survey on established rainwater sewage system and establishing comprehensive GIS system, as well as conducting regular maintenance.
- (4) For areas that are easily been flooded, we stipulate improvement measures for drainage and flood prevention and request for funds of “Project of Comprehensive Management of River Basins” from the central government to actively implement drainage and flood prevention constructions, including systematic regional drainage, seawall maintenance, flood detention ponds, pumping stations, and beach nourishment projects.
- (5) Kaohsiung City has dense waterways with the total length around 400 kilometers. For the purpose of flood prevention and safety protection, this Bureau conducts inspections on water resource related buildings and implements river dredging annually based on the inspection result, as well as enhancing maintenance on facilities like pumping machineries. In addition, this Bureau already established water information center, and water level monitoring system will be established gradually. Moreover, forward command center will be established in Fongshan, Cishan, and Gangshan when typhoon or torrential rain occurs in order to aggregate information and dispatch human resources. We also promote self-disaster prevention and flood prevention drills in communities and develop water information app providing warning information, which allows people to have the ability of disaster prevention, escape and reduction.
- (6) Kaohsiung City covers an area of 294,626 hectares, in which the slopeland accounts for 74% of the total area, and there are 109 potential debris flow torrents in the region. To protect the safety and property of citizens, we compile budges every year for slopeland disaster prevention construction projects and disaster prevention and reduction construction projects for potential debris flow torrents.